The Ons’ Lieve Heer Op Solder (Our Lord in the Attic) is a unique museum in a canal house in Amsterdam with a hidden Catholic church in its attic.
After some years of renovation and restoration, the museum added a modern wing in 2015 in the adjacent building.
The centrepiece and highlight of the museum is the beautiful small church spanning the attics of 3 adjacent houses which can seat up to 150 worshippers.
Catholic services were officially forbidden from the late 16th century. The Op Solder church dates back to 1663 having been built by merchant Jan Hartman who lived in the house with his family.
City authorities turned a blind eye to such churches – thus the museum symbolises the forward-thinking attitude to tolerance present in the Netherlands during the Golden Age.
The church was actually used up until 1887 and the following year the house was turned into a museum – it is in fact the second oldest museum in Amsterdam.
The old house contains a number of restored rooms with various religious artefacts, paintings and period furniture including a 17th century kitchen and a small confessional room. The modern wing has some additional exhibition space with multimedia presentations.
Also on display is a large amount of ceramic ware – these were discovered during the recent museum renovation. They originate from the cesspit of the house where old pottery was discarded.
A free audio tour (7 languages) gives a comprehensive outline of the house and church.
Note, the Op Solder Museum was closed between 13 March and 1 June 2020 due to coronavirus measures. Since reopening on 2 June it is mandatory to pre-book a ticket and timeslot in order to maintain social distancing. One-way walking routes are clearly marked in the museum.
Op Solder Museum Essential Info
|Opening Times||Daily 1000-1800 (Mon-Sat), 1300-1800 (Sun).|
|Admission Prices (2020)||€12.50 for adults, €6.00 for children 5-17. FREE entry to children 0-4, Museumkaart and Iamsterdam City Card holders.|
|Getting There||The museum is located near the red light district on the Oudezijds Voorburgwal canal not far from Oudekerk. It is a few minutes walk from Dam Square, Nieuwmarkt or Amsterdam Central station. Trams 2/4/11/12/13/14/17/24 all stop at Dam Square, metro 51/53/54 to Nieuwmarkt or metro 52 to Rokin.|
Museum Ons’ Lieve Heer op Solder, Oudezijds Voorburgwal 38, 1012 GD Amsterdam
T: +31(0)20 638 6909, opsolder.nl