Yes, you will find a large left luggage facility itself at Amsterdam Central station. There are also a couple of alternative baggage storage places a short walk away from the station.
Amsterdam Central Station Left Luggage
Amsterdam Central station has automated left luggage lockers located in the eastern passageway near the front entrance (city) side. You can simply follow the signs with the suitcase symbol and then enter the tunnel marked ‘bagage‘ next to the staircase up to platform 2.
Around Amsterdam Central there are a few map boards which give an overview of the station layout. However the location of the luggage lockers is not immediately obvious. Here is an image of the map where we have highlighted the lockers in green.
There are 2 sizes of lockers available – small lockers (85cm deep x 45cm high x 35cm wide) which should suffice for standard size luggage and large lockers (85cm x 60cm x 35cm) suitable for bigger suitcases.
Current costs for a 24 hour rental are €7.50 for a small locker and €11.00 for a large locker. For the period 25-72 hours you then pay €11.25 (small) and €16.50 (large) per 24 hour period.
Beware that there are penalty charges to be paid if you don’t collect your luggage within 72 hours. This includes a €70 recovery charge from lost property office in Utrecht.
How to Rent a Locker at Amsterdam CS
– Find an empty locker, place your things inside and shut the door – an indicator light turns red.
– You then pay for the first 24 hours at one of the automatic pay terminals found between the lockers. These accept debit/credit cards (V-Pay, Maestro, Visa or Mastercard). Note – they do not take cash.
– On payment your locker automatically locks and you should get a ticket receipt with your locker number. Double check that your locker is locked.
– Don’t lose the ticket as you need it to access your locker when you come back. There is a €10 charge if you lose it.
– When you come back to collect your luggage put your ticket in the slot of the pay terminal and it will check if any extra charge is required. On payment (or if within 24 hours) the locker opens automatically – and your locker rental is over.
Tips: When closing the locker make sure you have everything you need with you as once it’s locked that’s it. Your rental expires once you open the locker door!
Also, if you need multiple day storage then it is cheaper come back each time and pay for separate 24 hour periods.
Opening hours: 0500-0100; cases may be screened by security.
Remember that most hotels will store your bags for you after check-out if you are departing later in the day.
Other specialist left-luggage services in Amsterdam
You can find an alternative luggage storage service just opposite Amsterdam Central station called Drop&Go. It is located on Prins Hendrikkade near the large St Nicolaas church – 1 minute walk from the station.
– Luggage storage – Drop&Go charges a daily rate of €4 for small laptop bag; €7 for a cabin or hand-luggage (max 55cm); €10 for large size luggage (suitcase/backpack, 55-70cm); €15 for larger odd-sized items (such as surf boards, ski bags etc greater than 70cm). You will get a receipt which you must produce when collecting your bags.
– There is the possibility for charging electronic devices, printing out boarding passes and weighing luggage.
– Key pick-up location for some Amsterdam apartment rentals.
Drop&Go Amsterdam is currently open 0900-1900. The address is Prins Hendrikkade 86 (souterrain level), next door to the Batavia cafe. Telephone: +31(0)20 2233648.
Lockerpoint is a luggage storage service in Amsterdam with 5 locations around the city.
There is one located near Amsterdam Central station at the Q-Park parking garage at Prins Hendrikkade 20A, 1012 TL Amsterdam.
For a 24 hour period it charges €7 for a medium locker (30cm x 35cm x 60cm), €9 for a large locker (50cm x 33.5cm x 79cm) and €11 for a XL locker (86cm x 35cm x 60cm).
The location is always accessible for 24 hours each day. It is possible to pay by debit/credit cards including Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Apple Pay. Cash is not accepted. Telephone: +31(0)20 2218920.
Lockerpoint also has locations at Damrak 247 (near Beurs van Berlage), Museumplein, Sloterdijk and ArenAPoort.
This article was originally published in 2012 and has continuously been updated. Last update 22 November 2021.