The Ons' Lieve Heer Op Solder ("Our Lord in the Attic") is a unique museum in a canal house in Amsterdam with a hidden Catholic church in its attic.
After some years of renovation and restoration, the museum has added a modern new wing (opened 2015) in the adjacent building.
The centrepiece and highlight of the museum is the beautiful small church spanning the attics of 3 adjacent houses which can seat up to 150 worshippers. Catholic services were officially forbidden from the late 16th century. The Op Solder church dates back to 1663 having been built by merchant Jan Hartman who lived in the house with his family.
City authorities turned a blind eye to such churches - thus the museum symbolises the forward-thinking attitude to tolerance present in the Netherlands during the Golden Age. The church was actually used up until 1887 and the following year the house was turned into a museum - it is in fact the second oldest museum in Amsterdam.
The old house contains a number of restored rooms with various religious artefacts, paintings and period furniture including a 17th century kitchen and a small confessional room. The modern wing has some additional exhibition space with multimedia presentations.
Also on display is a large amount of ceramic ware - these were discovered during the recent museum renovation. They originate from the cesspit of the house where old pottery was discarded.
A free audio tour (7 languages) gives a comprehensive outline of the house and church.
Op Solder Museum Essential Info
Opening Times: Daily 1000-1700 (Mon-Sat), 1300-1700 (Sun).
Getting There: The museum is located near the red light district on the Oudezijds Voorburgwal canal not far from Oudekerk. It is a few minutes walk from Dan square or central station.
Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder, Oudezijds Voorburgwal 38, Amsterdam
Are you looking for a convenient hotel in the centre of Amsterdam? Please click here to search at Booking.com which offers guaranteed low rates, unbiased reviews and no booking fees.