The Hollandsche Schouwburg is an old theatre in Amsterdam's Plantage district which is now a Jewish war memorial.
It commemorates the many Jews in the city who were deported during World War 2.
The building originates from 1892 and was used as a theatre for many years during the early 20th century. During German occupation the theatre was used as a deportation centre (1942-43) - Jews from Amsterdam and surrounding areas were obligated to report there before being taken to Dutch transit camps (Vught or Westerbork) and finally to Germany.
In the early 1960s the building was turned into a memorial by the city council. The main auditorium had to be pulled down (due to disrepair) leaving a large empty space out the back - an obelisk was put up near the old stage which acts as a monument and place for reflection.
Inside the building there is a chapel with eternal flame. The wall contains the names of many Dutch Jewish families who lost members during the time.
Upstairs on the first floor there is an exhibition space which chronicles the persecution of Jews in Netherlands. The exhibit has photos, videos and some personal items / documents.
Hollandsche Schouwburg Essential Info
Opening Times: 1100-1600 daily.
Admission Prices (2016): Entrance is included for ticket holders of the Jewish Historical Museum. If visiting independently, a contribution of €2.50 is requested.
Getting There: Hollandsche Schouwburg is located on Plantage Middenlaan (a short walk from Waterlooplein). Trams 9 and 14 stop directly outside.
Schouwburg, Plantage Middenlaan 24, Amsterdam